Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cinematic Inspiration: Marie Antoinette

Sometimes the best fashion inspiration comes from the creative genius's behind the costume and set design of our favorite films. Most of the movies I watch over and over are purely for the visual delight of it all! I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite movies when it comes to costuming and set design, that I always walk away from feeling freshly inspired! The first...Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette






This movies is a little confection of 18th century delight. The dresses are gorgeous, and manage to avoid looking movie-costumey like most period films, and instead very natural, like you'd imagine it would be like to actually live back then.







Kirsten Dunst is constantly dolled up in the most beautiful combinations, from hot pink feathers to black tulle and blue silk. Not to mention the fact that they filmed the movie in Versailles, Marie Antoinette's actual palace.

I also love the pairing of 18th century settings and costumes with an 80's new wave soundtrack! Pure genius, if you ask me!



Some Marie Antoinette influenced pieces from BP...



No comments:

Post a Comment